Sunday, November 25, 2007

New York Times Book Section

I am pleased to say that my book, The Austin Fires, appeared in the New York Times Book Section today! It is exciting to see it in there. If you get the Times, take a look and let me know what you think. My oldest son had to track me down a copy of it in Austin as we don't have a subscription of it. Thanks, son!

My husband and I had a nice drive today through the Texas back roads as we went to pick up our youngest son from our oldest son's house in Austin. It always amazes me how our GPS unit (actually my husband's toy) try's to take us places. We never know where the thing will take us when we use it to travel a ways from our home. Today we ended up on a very narrow CR (county road) that was pretty much a one lane road. We had assumed (not always a good thing to do) that it would be a paved, two lane road, so were surprised to find it a hard-packed dirt road. When we came to an open gate in the middle of the road with a ranch name posted by it, my husband stopped the car. We were too far from where we had entered on this road, and the Australian lady on the GPS unit continued to urge us onward, so gingerly we proceeded forward. After splashing through several large mud puddles, and wondering what we had gotten ourselves into, we finally arrived at the highway we were hoping we would find.

That all said, it was actually a fun adventure and we saw several "hidden" ranches and lovely scenery along the trek. I wonder where we may end up next time?

4 comments:

Erik S. said...

Heh, hopefully it won't be somewhere with angry ranchers running you off of their property. =)

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had quite the adventure! Maybe some experiences for your next novel? :P

S A Slack said...

Yes, it may make an interesting scene for Stormy and Lance, indeed! Thank you for the suggestion.

Anonymous said...

I love getting lost whilst trying to find my way, because you never know what you are going to see or expereince! (Good thing I like it, cuz I usually end up lost not exactly on purpose!) Sounds like quite a cool adventure.